Saturday 23 June 2018

Top Ten Comic Book Artist List

The other day, Nigel, my old friend from England, who I have known since the mid-Seventies but lost contact with from 1981 until the end of 2015, asked me to do a top ten list.

Specifically, since we are both comic book geeks, of long standing, he wanted my top ten, of comic book artists.

In my first draft, of the list, there were over thirty names and I knew that it would be very difficult, after so many years and so many artists, to whittle it down to ten but I did it.

In no particular order,

Wally Wood




Alex Toth


Mike Ploog



Paul Grist



Jeff Jones



Walt Simonson



Frank Bellamy



Jack Kirby



Jim Steranko



Steve Ditko



Nigel's first reaction, was surprise!  I had left a couple of perennial favourites off the list, in particular, from his perspective, 

Gil Kane



and

Bernie Wrightson.



As I said to him, compressing the massive list of artists, that I have adored, down through the years (almost fifty at this point in time), into a list of ten names, means that some luminaries will be left out!

The names on my list, all have a deep resonance with me and they have all left a lasting mark upon my artistic sensibilities. 

But so did many others!
It is just that these guys were either there at the beginning of my fascination with comic books, or they contributed something new and different into the medium, that caught my attention.

So!

Who is on your Top Ten List?

No comments:

Post a Comment