Saturday 3 November 2018

Vaughn Bode and Cartooning Techniques

I am falling further and further behind, in my commitment to posting regularly on this Blog
and I apologize for my tardiness...
as much to myself, as to any of my supposed readers.

I annotated this page of Vaughn Bode's Cheech Wizard and I thought that perhaps my thoughts, on how he constructed the page & panels, would be of interest to other students of cartooning.


One of the biggest hurdles, that anyone who is trying to teach themselves how to draw cartoons has to get over, is the idea that composition "just happens".

Composition never just happens, it is always the product of thought and consideration that results, hopefully, in a compelling image, or images, that clearly communicate the intent of the artist.

It is hard to believe that Vaughn Bode has been dead for 43 years and that he was only 34 years old, when he died.

Everything that I have read about him, over the years, has confirmed that he was a complicated person and he could be quite abrasive.  Regardless, every time I revisit Cheech Wizard and the world that Vaughn created for those adventures, I am seventeen again and laughing, with tears streaming down my cheeks.... Howling with laughter at Cheech's Time Distortion Trick!

Thank you Mister Bode, for all the laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment