Saturday 28 November 2020

Gino D'Achille and Yvonne De Carlo

 When I was around 17 years old, I read a slew of the Gor books, written by John Norman.

Back then, I don't remember if he was already a target, of the Women's Liberation movement and truthfully, I wouldn't have cared but when I tried to reread one of the books, a couple of years ago, I was appalled at my younger self's acceptance of some of the sexist subject matter.

When I was 17 and still a virgin, the idea of being a dominant macho man, manhandling beautiful women, had a certain appeal but as an older man, who has lived in the world, I found the explicit idea, that women were like paper tissues, to be used and discarded, to be repugnant and I just about threw the book across the room! LOL


That being said, John Norman was Lucky enough to have his book covers illustrated by some very fine artists and they made the books look fantastic and readable.


One of those artists, was the late Gino D'Achille and he painted this cover.  Which only goes to prove that good works of art, start with good reference images!


Which, as I discovered, was based on one of the movie stills, used to advertise the British Movie, of 1951, Hotel Sahara and showed off the fantastic body of the young Yvonne De Carlo.

A few years later on, Yvonne would become better known for her role of Lily Munster, on the TV show "The Munsters".





No comments:

Post a Comment