Saturday 1 December 2018

The Art of William Stout

Many years ago, back in the late Seventies, I discovered the artwork of Bill Stout, probably in the Underground Comics of the time and I have followed his career ever since.

Fantastic Worlds, is a magnificent feat of publishing and I applaud the publisher and the book's designer, for making it such a beautiful object.

Here in the Great White North, it should have cost me $101 Canadian but thanks to Dobi, the owner / operator of Thunderstruck Books (formerly known as The Labyrinth, Toronto),
I also got my Club Rewards Dollars off that price and only paid $62!  I was over the moon.

It was an expensive day in town, for me but since my book buying trips have become a whole lot less frequent lately, it isn't surprising.

My weekly comic book buying habit, began around 1971 and I have managed to remain a dedicated comic book fan, ever since but lately, after almost fifty years, it has, rather suddenly, become less important to me and I can finally see, that an end to my obsession is near.

Modern comic books, just don't grab my attention, in the way that those issues from the late Sixties did and with the exception of the new Strangers in Paradise XXV, 
I don't buy a monthly comic book anymore 
and now, I have just learned that that series is only ten issues long, so in two more issues...


At that point, a decision will have to be made, I think and who knows, perhaps 2019 will be the year that I finally grow up and leave the world of comic books behind
BUT
I doubt it!

No comments:

Post a Comment