Wednesday 19 September 2018

Growing Old and Grey

We all grow older, it is, for the moment anyway, one of the universal constants
but
the downside to growing older, is that age tends to rob us, of all the things that once made life worth living...

I was unfortunate and my testosterone factory started to fail, at the relatively young age of 38 and pretty much closed it's doors, by the time I was 48
and yes, it was devastating but it was only likely to be life threatening, if I let the depression that accompanied the collapse of my sex life, drive me to suicide.

Well, I crossed that particular bridge a long time ago and I embraced then, a concept that I believe comes from the Buddhist 
Faith, the idea that if one can stand on the lip of the abyss, toes curled over the edge and stare into the depths, without fear, one can survive anything.

And I have survived.

The latest indignity, is being unable to sleep for more than two hours at a time, because I need to urinate, even when I can barely squeeze any urine out!

So, the chances are, my prostate is enlarged, hopefully in a benign way and that is just a little bit scary, because my paternal grandfather actually died from prostate cancer.

A great wit once opined that, Life Sucks and then You Die.

It is a very good line and the best part of it, in my opinion, is the promise of the final exit.

I am not afraid of dying, although the cause of my death, of which there is no guarantee and it could be messy, does cause me some nervousness.

However, while I am still here, I will try and remain interested and hopefully interesting.  We'll see how it goes.

It has nothing to do with the foregoing but I am a huge Paul Grist fan and I am going to close with a thought about him.


Paul Grist, UKCAC 1989

Paul Grist has been Missing in Action, for far too long and I really hope that he publishes something personal, this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment