Tuesday 27 February 2018

The Kindness of Strangers

A few months ago, for reasons that have never been made clear, Black Magick #8, from Image Comics, was "short shipped" and I was unable to find a copy, here in Toronto.

The issue was available, on E-Bay etc. but I was loathe to go that route, when the shipping costs were usually more than the cost of the book!

When Black Magick #9 came out, I was still looking for the missing #8 and I happened to have a conversation, in The Labyrinth, on Bloor Street, with a young man who was buying a copy.

It turns out, that he was lucky enough to have received a copy of the elusive #8 because he had a standing order for that title, at 
The Labyrinth and they had actually been shipped the number of books that they had asked for!

In the course of our conversation, I lamented my ill fortune and my inability to locate a copy locally.

A couple of months later, when the next issue, #10, hit the stands, I was in The Labyrinth and the manageress, Dobi, surprised me with a copy of the missing issue #8!  I was dumbstruck and amazed, especially when she told me why I was getting it...

It turns out, that the young man that I had spoken with, had not forgotten my plight and when he decided that he was less attached to the comic series, than I was, he approached Dobi, with the idea of allowing ME to have it!

What can I say,
Kindness is the Strongest Magic
and I was deeply touched 
by his thoughtfulness.


It's not quite finished yet, the lettering still needs to be added but I made this, as a "Thank You" card, for the young man and I will ask Dobi to pass it along to him.

It isn't much but I hope that it conveys my appreciation of his selfless act and how much it meant to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment