Tuesday 27 February 2018

IDW Artist's Editions

When IDW hit upon the amazing idea, of making books out of photographic scans of original Comic book artwork, I was at the head of the line to buy one!

That first book, reproducing the Dave Stevens, Rocketeer artwork, was amazing and I continued to grab each new Artist's Edition title, as it hit the shelves.

BUT

The price of the books steadily increased, here in Canada, as our dollar lost ground against the American dollar and IDW began making volumes of work, that I was less interested in and I began skipping volumes.

However, I have a feeling that I will have to make an exception in April, when this one is due to arrive:


When the stories, that the artwork in this volume reproduces, I was blown away!  I had already become a Jim Starlin fan, from his time on Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu and this sequence about the character Warlock, was just plain awesome!

Some of Starlin's later work, seemed to me, to be rather repetitious, at least in the general thrust of his story writing and I finally drifted away from being a solid fan, around the time that he was making Dreadstar at Epic, in the early Eighties.

I look forward to reliving those feelings of teenaged wonder, when I buy this volume.


No comments:

Post a Comment