Wednesday 24 February 2016

New Dean Cornwell Book & Stuff

It has been 38 years since the original, one and only, book about Dean Cornwell, was published.



Entitled "Dean Cornwell , Dean of Illustrators", it was a beautiful book.  Written by Patricia Janis Broder, it steadily increased in value, year by year, until it almost reached a price of $1000!


But all escalations in value come to an end and in the year 2000,
they reprinted the original book, with a different image on the cover.  They, in this case, being Collector's Press.

Today, The price varies widely, for either edition of the original book.

Just last week, a new book about Dean Cornwell came out, it's cover leads off this piece.  Published by The Illustrated Press,
it looks like another beautiful tribute to a great artist and I would love to own a copy.

I would have preordered it from the publisher, having dealt with them before, but I could not stomach the shipping cost.  The shipping would have cost me more than the book!

So, I will have to wait and see if I am fortunate enough to get one, through my favourite, spectacular and local, downtown store,
The Labyrinth, of Toronto.

Something that I ran across, the other day, was a portfolio of Marvel Comics Doctor Strange, from Sal Q Publications.  I have owned it, since it came out in 1983 and for a short while, I had the plates framed and hanging on my wall.

The artist is Michael Golden, who was great in 1983 and has only grown in stature and ability since then.

I present the envelope illustration and the plates, all six of them, although a couple of the images are a trifle small, for your edification.








No comments:

Post a Comment