Sunday 14 February 2016

Happy Valentine's Day


The image above was drawn by the young Robert Crumb
and despite his, often times, disparaging remarks about his earlier
drawing style, I find it to be charming.

There is no denying it's cute, cartoony appeal but underneath that, is a structure that shows that the young Mr. Crumb could really draw very well.


This is Mr. Crumb's valentine card from the following year and once again, he demonstrates his skill at cartooning and graphic design.  The drawing of the figure, is almost completely silhouette and reminds me of the "fade away" covers of Coles Phillips.


I know that it is a bit of a stretch but one must admit, that there is a certain similarity of approach.

I have been enamoured of cartoons and cartooning for almost as long as I can remember.  One of my earliest memories is of reading a comic book for children, Robin, published weekly, while lying on my bed.



These examples, pulled off the Internet, are from much later on and not long before the magazine was cancelled, in 1969.

It is only significant, because I am such an image oriented person and One does wonder where that fascination began.
It wasn't only a fascination with the images though, I remember hearing about 3D drawing, at about the age of seven and being mightily impressed that my father knew how to execute one.

The demonstration was a box, drawn in rudimentary perspective and I was completely deflated by how pedestrian it seemed... I was expecting fireworks and music!

It took me a long time to understand, that the "magic" of comic book drawing, takes a lot of time and patience, coupled with a comprehensive understanding of perspective drawing.

But, in comic books, the drawing is only one small part of creating magic on the page.  After many years of study and self education, I can finally "see" the sleight of hand, that a true craftsman in the comic book world is achieving and admire him for it.

In "sleight of hand" magic, the performer is concerned with misdirection, how to get an observer's eyes to to look away from where the hand containing an object is, allowing for a surreptitious disposal to be accomplished.

In drawing a comic book, the penciller must always be conscious of subtly directing the reader's eyes, directing them to see the information, within the panels, that will captivate their attention and aid in their "suspension of disbelief".

I love it.  I always have and I think I always will.

So, this is a small valentine, to my passion for cartooning and to anyone else who feels the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment