Thursday 26 September 2019

The Times They are A Changing!

In the few years that I have been posting, here on the Blog, the amount of traffic, coming here to read it, has been, justifiably, MINIMAL!

My aim, when I began, was to try and preserve and share, some of the history of my comic book collecting obsession.
If only to keep it alive, for just a while more.

Secondary, to that aim, was the demented idea that I could share my own experiences, in learning how to draw cartoons and perhaps, impart a couple of insights that might help others to travel a similar road.

At this point in time, I think that the history lessons are pretty well over and except for a few minor anecdotes, I will be leaving that aspect of the Blog, in limbo.

From here on in, I will concentrate on how to draw comic books and comic strips, illustrated with my own work and any other, "how to" essays, that catch my eye.

In that spirit but also because this stuff is like catnip to me, here are some layouts, from the late Wally Wood, for the story,
"Prelude to Armageddon",
that appeared in Warren's Creepy Magazine
in 1971.




These examples, as rough as they are, clearly show Wood's ability to compose interesting panels and are an insight into how he broke down the page and the events that he wanted to illustrate, to tell an interesting and engaging story.

Vaughn Bode, as anyone who has read any of my earlier posts can attest, is another of my "Gods" and his cartooning was so appealing and cute, while covering topics that ranged from the banal, to raunchy, to violent.

What a talent and sorely missed.



No comments:

Post a Comment