Friday 28 November 2014

Vaughn Bode's Cheech Wizard, in the flesh... more or less!

In the late 1970s, several guys that I used to see,
on a saturday,
when I went to the comic shops of Birmingham,
made the pilgrimage to the mecca of
comic book collecting known as 
Phil Seuling's Comic Art Convention.

According to it's Wikipedia page,
the event was first held in 1968 and continued to be
an annual gathering, until 1983; with some added wrinkles of history, that you can read elsewhere.

Getting back to the point of this post, one of those
intrepid travellers, took the photographs displayed below.
I wish that I could remember who it was but time has wiped away any clue to his identity, which is a shame, since I would like to credit him.



Those of you who view the images in their larger state will notice the lettered show cards on the display.
I have Googled many variations on Harvey Weintraub, who I assume was either the builder or the owner and Junkwaffel Express but to no avail.  It was so large and so well done that I thought that I would find some mention, somewhere, even if it was only another photograph of the same display.

Given the cult status that Vaughn Bode and Cheech Wizard have, I was surprised to find that there doesn't seem to be any mention of this display anywhere on the Internet.  So, perhaps I will be adding something new to the collective history of Fandom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment