Tuesday 20 May 2014

Time Flies and I Post so Little! Toth, Hicks, Immonen & Grist.

Once again, I find myself lagging in the new Posts department.  I have the attention span of a butterfly and I am easily distracted, just look at any of my old school report cards for confirmation!

The best news to come out lately is the arrival, tomorrow, of the third and final volume of the Alex Toth books from IDW.  I look forward to picking it up!


I visited the TCAF, 2014, held here in Toronto last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it but the ridiculously long line-up to get back into the second floor exhibitor's hall, curtailed my visit.  If I go again next year, I will know not to leave that floor, if that is where all of my interest lies.

I got to meet Faith Erin Hicks and buy a piece of her artwork from her at a very reasonable price.




I also got to exchange a few words with Adam Warren, of Empowered fame and also buy a piece of artwork from him, although I paid considerably more for it!


This is the piece that I got.  Minus the lettering, that was added in the production stage and the positioning of it is a rough pencil outline on the original.  Nice, even if I do say so myself.  Thank you, Mr. Warren.

Otherwise, I am still trolling through my collection and trying to educate myself in the "tricks of the trade" that are employed by comic book artists.

One of the best of the Page Constructors, to enter the field in the last twenty odd years, has to be Stuart Immonen.  Who, coincidentally is also a Canadian and lives, I believe, somewhere here in Toronto.  I actually met him, at a convention here in town, in 1997 or 98, long before I realized how good he was but I didn't pass up the opportunity to buy a small pencil drawing from him!


No one today constructs a page as well as you do, sir.

It is all so effortlessly readable and you direct the reading eye so well.

I am also rereading the work of the English cartoonist, Paul Grist.  Who has to take the prize for being the worst producer of comic book series ever.  Mud Man has been stalled for far too long!


And there was Kane, a truly wonderful cops and robbers book


And of course, Jack Staff.  A series that has languished for far too long.


Please, please, please, mister Grist, do some more work on your own wonderful characters.




No comments:

Post a Comment